Western Films For 2015
I am always up for an around the camp fire good western film whether it’s new or a remake (i.e. R. Crowe – C. Bale "3:10 to Yuma"). See listed below those Western films that are mostly to be released in 2015 with one only still in production to come to a theater very soon in 2016.
1. "Jane's Got a Gun" - Have been looking forward to Natalie Portman's Western since it was originally scheduled for release 2013. No trailer yet for "Jane GG" and also, unfortunately, they have had been multiple rescheduling of its release which (most often) means something is wrong with the film i.e. more reshooting or re-editing or late casting.
PLOT: Jane Hammond (Natalie Portman) has built a new life with her husband Bill "Ham" Hammond (Noah Emmerich) after being tormented by the Bishop Boys gang. She finds herself in the gang’s cross-hairs once again when Ham stumbles home riddled with bullets after dueling with the Boys and their relentless leader, Colin (Ewan McGregor). With the vengeful crew hot on Ham's trail, Jane has nowhere to turn but to her former fiancé Dan Frost (Joel Edgerton) for help in defending her family against certain death. Haunted by old memories, Jane’s past meets the present in a heart-stopping battle for survival
2. "The Salvation" is already out in Europe and to be released soon (Date TBD in USA) is starring the excellent Danish Actor Mads Mikkelsen. He is always excellent and does a good job at selecting unique small slice of life projects (The Hunt") of which in this Western effort is a true story.
PLOT: The Salvation takes place in the 1870s America. When settler John kills his family murderer, he unleashes the fury of notorious gang leader Delarue. Betrayed by his corrupt and cowardly community, the peaceful pioneer must turn vengeful hunter, slay the outlaws, and cleanse the towns black heart. The Salvation is an epic tale of revenge, lost love and greed.
3. "The Magnificent Seven" has rounded out some of its cast. Sources say the Oscar-nominated Ethan Hawke is in serious final negotiations to join Denzel Washington again in MGM’s “The Magnificent Seven" remake with now slated Director Antoine Fuqua (Training Day) to be behind the camera, along with HBO's True Detective" creator Nic Pizzolatto and John Lee Hancock (films "The Alamo" and "The Blind Side") co-writing the script. Also Chris Pratt (Guardians of the Galaxy & Zero Dark Thirty), and Actress Haley Bennett are also on board to star. With Director Fuqua blood will be shed.
PLOT: if you saw the original with Yul Brenner and Steve McQueen from the 1960’s then you basically already know.
4. Quentin Tarentino's "The Hateful Eight" is on schedule to be released this year around November 13, 2015.
PLOT: After the Civil War in Wyoming eight westerners who seek refuge in a stagecoach stopover on a mountain pass during a blizzard realize cooped up in one room they may not survive the wintery night. The casts include:
Samuel L. Jackson as Major Marquis Warren aka "The Bounty Hunter"
Kurt Russell as John Ruth aka "The Hangman"
Jennifer Jason Leigh as Daisy Domergue aka "The Prisoner"
Walton Goggins as Chris Mannix aka "The Sheriff"
Demián Bichir as Bob aka "The Mexican"
Tim Roth as Oswaldo Mobray aka "The Little Man"
Michael Madsen as Joe Gage aka "The Cow Puncher"
Bruce Dern as Gen. Sanford Smithers aka "The Confederate"
5. "The Revenant" with Leo DiCaprio and British Actor Tom Hardy (Hardy soon to be seen in the Mad Max reboot this summer).
PLOT: A western of sorts taking place in the 19th century, here Hugh Glass (DiCaprio), a fur trapper is brutally mauled by a bear while hunting. His companions (Hardy and friends) rob him and leave him to die, but he manages to survive and sets out to exact some hellish brutal revenge on the 3 men who betrayed him. This is also scheduled to be released December 25, 2015 (shooting for Oscar consideration). Directed by recent Academy Award Winner Alejandro González Iñárritu (Birdman).
6. "Slow West" is an upcoming American-British action thriller western film directed and written by John Maclean. The story follows a 16-year-old boy on a journey across 19th Century western frontier America in search of the woman he loves, while accompanied by mysterious traveler Silas (Michael Fassbender).
7. “Bone Tomahawk” is a story about four men set out in the Wild West to rescue a group of captives from cannibalistic cave dwellers. Stars: Lili Simmons, Geno Segers, Sean Young.
8. “Diablo” is a story of a young civil war veteran intent on building a normal life while fighting the ravages of PTSD is forced on a desperate journey to save his kidnapped wife before she disappears forever. Stars: Scott Eastwood, Walton Goggins, Camilla Belle.
9. “Forsaken” is a story about a man who after abandoning his gun and reputation as a quick-draw killer, John Henry returns to his hometown in hopes of repairing his relationship with his estranged father. Stars: Demi Moore, Kiefer Sutherland, Donald Sutherland.
10. “The Timber” is a story in the Wild West where two brothers embark on a journey to collect a bounty in a desperate attempt to save their home: but what they find along the way is more than they bargained for. Stars: James Ransone, Elisa Lasowski, Mark Caven.
11. “The Unbroken” is the story that is set in the Arizona territory in 1863, a loner goes up against a gang of outlaws led by his father in order to save his mail-order bride. Stars: Jeremy Sumpter, Booboo Stewart.
12. “Western Religion” is a story set in the year is 1879. Gunfighters from the far reaches of the globe descend on the mining town of Religion, Arizona to compete in a legendary poker tournament. Stars: Peter Shinkoda, Miles Szanto, Jonathan Erickson Eisley.